Friday, December 22, 2006

First time skiing in FR....Chamrousse

On a last minute decision I decided to head into France for my first day of holiday. I had been speaking with a small ski company in Chamrousse called Axunn (www.axunn.com) and have been trying to get out to their offices for the past two weeks. When the snow never came and the skiing in CH didn't look like anything special I headed down to Chamrousse. Chamrousse is about 2 hours from Geneva just south of Grenoble.
On the way I noticed a town that looked very familiar to my last name...mom and dad you sure we're not French! ;-)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The valley was dry and on the way up I was doubting this place was open but as I got higher in the pass the snow started to show:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I was going to meet the guys at Axunn in the afternoon so I put on the boards and made some turns. As the rest of the Alps snow was marginal and pretty much like EC early season with mostly man-mad snow......but with a great view!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
After about 10 short laps I gave the Axunn a call. I found out I was at Chamrousse 1750 and not 1650...luckily it was the same resort just a little down the road. I drove up to find there office in a sick location right on the slopes and looking into this!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Axunn started last year and have been trying to get traction in the Euro ski industry. I met the owners Gunther and Daniel and talked shop. After a little the guys reccomended that I give a few skis a run...so I did. I took 7 laps on their two BC skis. Both were good, but I decided that one was a little more versitale and worked better in my quiver. So I hooked up with a pair right out of the back room! I picked an artwork that only 5 were ever made and are pretty cool. A friend of Axunn's took some erotic pics of his girlfriend and they put them on the skis...a litte riske, but very unique and cool (sorry mom, but you should see some of the French ads in the magazines ;-)Happy customer!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
After a little more chat chat it was time to go, but not until I snapped a few more shots:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The new skis at home:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Overall another unique and cool day. I am going to stay in touch with the Axunn crew and meet up later this winter.... off to somewhere tomorrow! -G

No comments: